Due: Monday, February 9, 2015; 9am
Hello, Class,
Your discussion questions are posted below. As you craft your responses, please give each question consideration. You will graded on your ability to provide examples to support the claims you make and reference the text or class when appropriate.
~ML
1. What age do you think you have to be to be considered mature and why?
2. How old do you feel and why?
1. I think from age 18 people should be considered mature, because for example in my country when you reach the 18 you can work, drive car, drink alcohol, etc. We can do all the things that adults do. Also when you are 18 or over you are responsible for yourself. If you commit a crime, you go to jail. The parents can not control your life from that age. That is why I think, 18 is the mature age. I know that some people can not think like an adult until they reach a higher age, but it is maximum 5%, which is not a big part.
ReplyDelete2. I do not feel myself older than I am, because I know I am not that wise as an older person, who has more experience in life than me. I have been through things what not happens with everybody and those things changed my thinking, but I don't think and feel myself older than I am.
Jimmy Kotany
1. I feel that emotional maturity is not relative to physical maturity. One could be 32, but still have infantile emotional maturity.
ReplyDelete2. I feel I am older than I am because I had to take on a lot of responsibility at a young age. I had to grow up way faster than I should have.
Megan Uhrich
1) I do not believe that maturity goes along with age. You should be considered mature when you know the difference between right and wrong and still chose to make the right decisions even when maybe the wrong ones would be easier to do. Making those right decisions in situations like using your money to pay a bill rather than going shopping or studying for an exam when your friends want to go out.
ReplyDelete2) I do feel that I am somewhat older than I am. I am the oldest of six kids so I had to take on the role as someone who my parents could rely on to help out with the younger kids and help out around the house. I also have been working since I was fifteen which has always made me feel mature. Yet, at the same time I feel too immature to handle the real world by myself without my parents helping to guide me.
Brianna Garcia
1. I feel that the majority of people reach a pretty solid maturity by age 18. It is at this age when mothers can watch their sons and daughters go to war to fight and die for their country. It is at age 18 when you are legally considered an adult and are given adult responsibilities such as having to pay taxes. It is also at this age when we as a society ask you to decide what it is you would like to do with the rest of your life. Granted, it is not uncommon for an 18 year-old to occasionally act in what many would consider to be a childish and immature manor, but that is only due to the fact that they are new to the idea of their own independence and freedom. They are no longer under the watchful eye of their parents or guardians whom up until that point they had lived with their entire lives. The age of 18 is a clear turning point in most people’s lives.
ReplyDelete2. Even though I am 19 years old I often times can’t help but feel younger and more vulnerable to the world than I really am. As a college student, I am not yet financially stable enough to stand on my own two feet, and therefore still require the help and support of my parents, whom I feel extraordinarily privileged to have. There are some aspects in my life, however, that do make me feel my actual age, such as my own independence. Considering the fact that I now live an hour and a half away from home, I am now eligible to control my own life and write my own rules as long as they allow me to stay on track and fulfill my goals.
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDelete1. I believe that you are mature in your late 20’s thats the time where you are starting the second chapter of your life, most people are doing things like getting married and having children and I think to be able to do those things you have to have a much larger maturity level compared to when you are just caring about yourself.
ReplyDelete2. I don’t feel like I’m very old, I feel like this is the first year in which I am taking care of myself and I know that I have a lot of things to learn before I can consider myself old and wise.
I believe you do not become mature at a certain age. A persons actions and how they respond to certain situations can make them a more mature person. I think that many people can be perceived as immature or mature by how they act and present themselves.
ReplyDeleteI feel like I am different ages in different situations. I feel older because I am living away from my parents and making my own decisions. I can also feel younger when I am out with my friends. Therefore I have different identities of age when I am with different situations.
Sari Finn
1. I believe an age you have to be considered mature is 18 because your in college and on your own so you should be capable of taking care of responsible and mature things. People start to look up to you and expect more from you.
ReplyDelete2. I still feel like I am younger than I am because I still have so much to learn. Especially with going off to college and taking care of myself, it's taught me that there's so much more in life that I need to learn and get used to.
1. I believe an age you have to be considered mature is 18 because your in college and on your own so you should be capable of taking care of responsible and mature things. People start to look up to you and expect more from you.
ReplyDelete2. I still feel like I am younger than I am because I still have so much to learn. Especially with going off to college and taking care of myself, it's taught me that there's so much more in life that I need to learn and get used to.
1. I think 18 could be a decent age of maturity. At that age, you can be tried as an adult in a court of law, you can live on your own, you can vote, you can go to war--you are legally an adult by all means. I think if you're considered mature enough to make these decisions and really act for yourself, it's a good age to consider the 'mature age'.
ReplyDelete2. I feel exactly my age; I'm not necessarily old enough/ready to go out on my own and I still rely on my parents but, at the same time, I have responsibilities that I didn't have when I was younger.
1. I think the age of 18 would be a pretty great age to be considered mature. There is a lot more you can do at age 18 than when you were younger. You can move out when you turn 18 and live on your own if you wanted to. I think that once you graduate and leave high school, you enter a whole new world of maturity with other sophisticated adults.
ReplyDelete2. I feel like I am 18 years old, which is my actual age. There is a lot I can do now that I could not do when i wasn't 18. I just feel a lot more mature and sophisticated. There are still a lot more things that I would not be able to do. I still don't feel like I would be able to move out and live on my own without my parent's help.
1. I feel that at the age of 16 you should be seen at mature as this is the age that you start making decisions on your future by yourself. Then by age 18 you are an adult and should be able to make all decisions by yourself and be respected for this.
ReplyDelete2. I feel my age of 19, however I feel that during the process of coming to America from England for university I had to become more mature and capable of looking after myself as I have no family to look after me here.
1) I personally believe that just because you hit a certain age it does not mean that you are automatically mature. Maturity goes hand in hand with responsibility, if you have had to carry a heavy load throughout the course of your early life you will tend to be a mature individual.
ReplyDelete2) Although I am only 18 years old, I feel much older than that. I am the youngest of six children and my three older brothers are all married with kids. Because I have been an aunt since the age of seven I have felt the need to be a good role model for my nieces and nephews. I know that I have others looking up to me, and this makes it difficult to act young.
1) I believe that maturity does not come from age. However when you ask yourself what age you have to be to reach maturity you also then have to ask yourself what your definition of maturity is. I believe that with maturity comes responsilitly if you are able to have responsibility and are able to take on more then you are mature. This age can be different for everyone based on many things such as character or even your DNA.
ReplyDelete2) When I think of my age I think I am older then I really am. Already I am moved out of the house and living away for my parents and it's no big deal. Also I am the oldest child and I think because of that responsibility has been a big factor in my life. When the kids are told to do something or get things done I am responsible to keep them in line and make sure things get done and done right. On the other hand when I look at what I want to do with my life and what I want to become I feel young. I still want to travel and get a good job. Looking at the accomplishments I need to do I feel like I have many years to do them!
1. I feel that maturity comes when you hit 17. At this age you have to start thinking about your future, and what you would like to do with your life. A major change is about to occur for people this age. Graduating high school, and possibly moving away from the friends and family you have been with for a long time is something that requires some adult strength. You are required to make big decisions in terms of future education, careers, and relationships.
ReplyDelete2. I feel that I am a bit more mature than my age. I feel that I am able to be confident in choices I make, and know that they will impact my future. Often times people my age have a difficult time getting their priorities straight, and I feel that I have ensured that mine are correct.