Saturday, February 28, 2015

Discussion Questions: Intercultural Communication
Due: Monday, March 2, 2015; 9am

1. How does culture influence conversation? Provide an example.

2. Why is it important to know something about the other person's culture before we start a conversation?

18 comments:

  1. 1. Culture influences conversation through the environment around you and how you are raised such as your parents. Once I was babysitting for a friend and as I was putting the kids to sleep, they asked if I would turn on the tube so they could fall asleep to it. I was so confused on what the "tube" was. I had known what people had once called the TV the tube but I had never really heard anyone say it to me. I had to ask them what a "tube" was because I was confused on the communication they were using to tell me to turn on the TV.
    2. It is important to know about someone else's culture when starting a conversation because you do not want to say something that may offend them. It can be as simple as knowing if the person you are talking to finds cussing except able or not. If they are a type of person who's culture never cusses it may offend them if in your conversation you say those certain words.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1. I think that culture influences conversation based on how you communicate. Some cultures are used to talking fast and loudly, while others are used to taking their time and speaking quietly or more discreetly. Often times culture barriers can cause confusion or even misinterpretations that can offend someone. An example of this is when my sister studied abroad in Austria, she was told right away by her group leader that Austrians can often be very rude, because they value friendship so highly and do not want to give their friendship to anyone who will not appreciate it as they do. If someone didn't know this, they could be constantly offended by the way austrians act.


    2.It is important to know about someone else's culture when starting a conversation because then you can keep an open mind about the conversation. If you understand that the person may act and do things differently, then you may not be as surprised when they do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 1. Culture influences conversation in many ways, but it starts with how you were raised and what you are personally used to. For example, the way someone says a certain word, or if they speak with an accent. Even the pace somebody talks can be a cultural influence. An example of this is when I would hangout with my neighbor who wasn’t a Catholic. She wanted me to hangout Sunday morning but I couldn’t because I had mass. When I told her why I couldn’t come over she got very confused and had never heard of a mass before. She was just never raised going to mass or learning about what it was or the religion associated with it.
    2. It is important to know about a person’s culture before you start a conversation with them because many things could go wrong. You could say something that to you may seem harmless, but it could offend them. Another reason is you don’t want to be completely lost or confused in the conversation and not have any idea what they are talking about to you. I know I never like to feel confused and not know what is going on.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 1)Culture may influence a conversation in a variety of ways. Depending on the culture that you were raised in, you may have certain names for foods, places, and gestures that are different and unique from other cultures. As an example there are different names for carbonated drinks. Depending on the region of the country that you are from, you may commonly call them “pop” or “soda”. Someone who orders a “pop” where it is commonly called a “soda” might make their waiter feel a little confused and maybe ask for clarification as to what they want to drink.

    2)It is important to know something about an individual’s culture before interacting with them because you may offend them without even knowing that you are doing so. Something as simple as knowing whether it is acceptable or not to make direct eye contact can greatly influence the conversation.

    ReplyDelete
  5. 1. Culture influences conversation in many ways. First being, every culture is different, which means the way that someone acts or the way someone talks, will most likely be different, depending on their culture. An example of this is like how in some places, people think that it is normal to be in your face when they talk to you and talk extremely loud. Meanwhile, in our culture here, we like to have personal space, or a "personal bubble".

    2. I think that it's important to know the other person's culture before we start a conversation, because that way we know what they are like and can maybe relate or learn about them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. 1. Depending on where you've grown up, the way you talk to other people or the way you act in general. You might use slang terms or have a certain way of greeting people in your culture, but it's not the same in another. For example, I had a girl from New Zealand living with me for awhile. Once, we were talking about foods and I mentioned that I liked kiwis. She asked what was wrong with me because I didn't clarify that I like kiwi fruit and not the endangered kiwi birds. (Or cannibalism as people from New Zealand are also called kiwis.)

    2. It's important to know some things about another person's culture before we start a conversation so that we don't offend them without realizing it or something like that.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. 1) Culture influences conversation in many different ways. I believe that the biggest influence in how you converse with others has to do with the environment in which you have grown up and what the language is like in that particular area. While you grow up you learn how to speak according to how the other people from that same location do. This influence on the environment and people around you affects how you speak and articulate yourself. An example of this for me was back in high school. Soccer was a big part of my life, and for the upcoming season we had a foreign exchange student that was going to join the team that year. I distinctly remember conversing with her about our soccer facilities, and she kept referring to the "pitch." Finally I asked her what a pitch was, as it created a barrier in our conversation. She looked at me with confusion and by the context of the conversation I was able to figure out what she was talking about, in America we refer to her slang word "pitch" as a field." In this case I had to confront her about our differing terms, and then we began to talk about other words that might cause confusion between us on the field. By effectively speaking of our cultural differences we were able to work together as better teammates.

    2) It is important to know about someone else's culture before starting a conversation because sometimes conflict can arise of the conversation. In our class book it explains that understanding cultural values is essential because they are so powerful in influencing behavior. This is true, for example, if you know something is unacceptable in one culture but is acceptable in your own. You would make sure not to do it because you don't want to offend anyone.

    ReplyDelete
  9. 1. Culture does influence conversations because every culture is different. Each culture has their own meanings for words and gestures that people need to understand when having a conversation. An example of how culture influences conversation is when debating some cultures like to express all their feelings openly, such as anger, fear or frustration, whereas certain cultures like to keep their feelings hidden, so only sharing the factual information of a situation, this can lead to confusion and frustration between the two cultures, it they are not understanding of each other.

    2. It is important to be aware of somebody else culture to reduce the risk of insulting a culture. However it is impossible for a person to know everything about somebody else's culture, therefore people have got to be accepting if someone makes a mistake which could cause an insult in a different culture. .

    ReplyDelete
  10. 1. Culture influences any conversation, because every culture is different. As they different it can make some misunderstanding. It mostly confusing when we are a bussiness men and we have to meet with someone, who is from an other culture. When this happens we should look after so basic things, for example how to greet, eat, and what not to do while we try to make a bussiness friendship better for our company. But a lot of thing is different in every culture and there are a lot of them. This means even at the greetings, when for example an american meets with an asian, the american would wants to shake the asian hand, but the asian will wants to bend.

    2. By knowing something about the other cultures we can avoid the misunderstandings. But of course we can not know everything about every culture and I think the other people not expect that we have to know everything about his/her culture, but it feels good for them if we know some basics. Like greetings, eating habits, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  11. 1. The main way culture influences conversation is whether or not the social norms are violated. For example: In the Vietnam, asking one’s age is extremely important, as older people are addressed differently. But in the United States, it is considered extremely rude and many people take offense. By asking about age in Vietnam, the social norm is upheld; but by asking about age in the United States, the norm is violated.
    2. When you know about the culture, you avoid offending them by using stereotypes. For example, the general stereotype is that Asian looking people don’t speak English and are very smart. Saying something like, “you speak English well, where did you learn it” would offend an Asian American from Brooklyn. If you knew more about the culture, then you could recognize that the stereotypes aren’t necessarily true and avoid them.

    ReplyDelete
  12. 1. Culture influences conversation by the word's we use and the topics we discuss. For example, when I am talking to my family's foreign exchange student from China I have to be careful what words I use. One reason I have to choose my words carefully is because in her culture it is offensive if you do not stay humble and compliment the other person.
    2. It is important to know something about the other person's culture before we start a conversation because you could easily offend someone. If you understand the other person's culture you can avoid common misunderstandings about that person's culture.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think that culture influence conversations by many reasons. Every culture has different meanings to gestures and words that affect the conversation. Also, different cultures value conversations differently. As we talked about in class, in some countries they spend hours after meals conversing with family and friends. That is very different in America because we value other things more, and if we were in that situation we wouldn't want to offend the culture by leaving quickly after eating. Therefore, I think that knowing how different cultures communicate can help conversations run more smoothly.
    2. I think it is important to know other peoples cultures before we start a conversation because you don't want to offend the other people. The actions or words you say could insult another person and you not even know it. Having previous knowledge about different cultures can help you be a better communicator.

    ReplyDelete
  14. 1. Culture plays a big part in a conversation. It can even come down to the first greeting you give to the other person. For example for a Japanese man it is proper for them to greet with a bow on the other hand for an American so shake hands. If we didn't study the communications of cultures we would not have the relationships that tie us together with foreign countries.

    2. As I explained before on question number one. Just the initiation of the conversation as a greeting makes a long way so start a conversation. We need to understand the study of the other parties culture so that we may know what and not to say.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  16. 1.I believe culture influences conversation because culture impacts the diction, expressions, and emotions tied in to communication with people. One example of how culture influenced a conversation in my life is when I visited Tennessee people had a difficult time understanding me because they taught I spoke to quickly command to most people in the south who talk at a slower pace.

    2.It’s important to be knowledgable of the person’s culture you are communicating with because if you aware of that you are more likely to understand the messages they are trying to send you. It might still be difficult to fully understand another person if you are not totally familiar with how the communicate but it will give you a better idea of what they are saying.

    ReplyDelete
  17. 1. Culture influences conversation in many different ways. For example, an Italian greeting someone with kissing both their cheeks. That influences conversation due to knowing what another culture does. It's also influencing because it's a sign of respect.

    2. I think it's important to know about someone else culture because than you know what of things another culture does. For example, an Italian kissing both cheeks on someone. That is something to know so that when you come to a situation like that you know what to do. Knowing some knowledge about other cultures is always important when wanting discuss with another culture.

    ReplyDelete
  18. 1. Culture plays a huge role in conversation. It makes a huge impact on the conversation you are having with someone of different culture or different area. Some cultures value the way they communicate and that could be a way different thing for another culture. By not knowing what they value people can become offended and the conversation can go all wrong. Or people may even just say things different then other people. For example people say pop and people say soda, they both mean the same thing but when you say the other word to someone they might think its weird.

    2. I think it is very important to know about someone else culture so you can know what to do when your ever in that situation. If you don't know what the cultures you can easily offend that culture and it can turn into a really bad conversation. So overall knowing how different a culture communicates will save the awkwardness in the conversation and any arguments that could possibly breakout.

    ReplyDelete