Due: Monday, February 23, 2015; 9am
1. How can facial expressions help to shape the general tone of a conversation?
2. Does the way a person use kinesics (facial expressions, hand gestures, voice qualities) helps to determine their overall character?
1. Facial expressions are a huge part of conversations and communicating. For example, you can read a persons emotion. Like if their sad, they will either be crying or looking down and have a frown on their face. If a person is happy, they’ll be smiling or laughing. But facial expressions are also how we communicate to one another. For example, if someone is impressed they can raise their eyebrows. A simple conversation can go from bad to good all with a smile and good eye contact. That’s how important facial expressions are when talking to people. A conversation could go in the wrong direction if the other person thinks your angry or sad with the expressions on your face.
ReplyDelete2. I would say the way a person uses kinesics does help determine their overall character. You can tell a lot about a person just from their facial expressions, if they’re a happier person and smile a lot. They could be outgoing and talkative with a louder voice so they can be heard. Others could be more serious faced and not have as loud of a voice or as social and kind of keep to themselves. It just depends on your personality and character. Everyone is different and communicates in their own ways, whether it be hand gestures or crazy tones of voices. All of those traits go along with how people communicate and how they’re feeling inside and how they express it.
1)I do believe that facial expressions help shape the tone of the conversation. Facial expression may help you gather how well the receiver is taking in what you are telling them. Such as when you are telling someone what you believe to be great news, and you are smiling with your eyes wide open and they mirror that with smiles and head nods that can set a positive tone for the conversation. On the other hand, if they roll their eyes, lack eye contact, or purse their lips that can make for a more negative tone and even maybe result in an argument.
ReplyDelete2)The way an individual uses kinesics can say something about their character. If they have animated hand gestures and a louder tone of voice you would maybe perceive them as being more confident and outgoing. Whereas if someone speaks in a smaller level of voice and maybe doesn’t use hand gestures and just crosses their arms over their chest, one could perceive them as being shy or lacking confidence. Yet, we must also take into account how well the participants in the conversation know one another and the context in which the conversation is taken place. These other variables may influence an individual’s use of kinesics.
I think that facial expressions shape the conversation. If I say something that I am unsure how they will take, I look at their face to determine how I should proceed. When texting, you don’t get a view of their face, so responses are often left misinterpreted because they did not get the nonverbal along with the linguistic response.
ReplyDelete2.
I think that the way they use kinetics helps to determine their character, but is not a window into their character. The reason I say this, is kinetics can be controlled. We put out the image we want others to see. For example, If I am in a job interview, I will keep my facial expression under control and my body still. But if I am recounting a funny story to my friends, my kinetics would be anything but under control. Kinetics can be used to get an initial impression on their character.
1. How can facial expressions help to shape the general tone of a conversation?
ReplyDeleteI think facial expressions are really important when conveying a message because just hearing what a person is saying does not mean you actually understood their message. A facial expression can determine whether or not they truly meant what the said or they were just saying what you want to hear. Through facial expressions one can see that the sender is generally happy, upset, or angry making it easier for the receiver to response appropriately.
2. Does the way a person use kinesics (facial expressions, hand gestures, voice qualities) helps to determine their overall character?
I believe it does. Based on the person’s use of kinesics you can more thoroughly understand what messages they are trying to get across. I also believe that is why texting can cause so many misunderstandings. Without the use of kinesics decoding a person message is hard to do. You can not hear the tone of voice they are using, or see if they’re smiling or serious. That makes a huge difference when trying to understand what a person meant through a text. Most of the time words are not enough to understand what the sender is trying to communicate.
1. Facial expressions help shape the tone of a conversation positively, or negatively, or not at all. Some people are very observant to another person's body language, and will notice the other persons expression much stronger. If someone tells you something with a smile on their face, they seem honest, inviting, and even warm. Whereas if someone tells you something with a frown or look of disgust on their face you may view the rest of the conversation as uncomfortable, unpleasant, and possibly untrue regardless of content.
ReplyDelete2. Kinesics definitely helps determine character. People uses nonverbal and verbal signs to read a person in order to get a better understanding of they type of person they are. If someone always has their arms crossed, whispers when they speak, and is always frowning, you may see them as shy or maybe nervous. However, people act differently in different situations, so you may not get an accurate interpretation of how that person actually is.
1. Facial expressions are very important for setting the tone because they are the main focus point during a conversation. A conversation can have a completely different tone to it by simply adding a smile or a frown to it, this is because it sends a message to the receivers that you are either happy and more interested in the conversation or annoyed and disinterested in having the conversation and these will have too different end perceptions.
ReplyDelete2. The use of kinesics can be used to determine a persons character because the methods each individual uses has been built throughout their life. It is easy to see what kind of person someone is from their voice qualities for example. if a person come across as shy and speak quietly and has shaking hands or stutters then you are able to see that they are more likely and introverted character. Whereas some who is a bold speaker is more likely to be an extrovert. These characteristics can be discovered from just looking at how someone speaks in a conversation.
1. Facial expressions are very important in portraying how a person feels during a conversation. Someone might not be hearing everything thing that person is saying because they are too focused on the impression the face is giving off. Knowing how to understand others by looking at their face, will help there be less confusion.
ReplyDelete2. Yes, I think a persons kinesics help describe their character. Facial expressions, hand gestures, and their voice all define a person. They tell a that persons story and or how they are feeling at that time. I think it is a way to express yourself. I can be very quiet or very loud but it depends on my surroundings or how I am feeling. Being able to identify another persons qualities then getting to know they might be a lot easier.
Signe McKinney
ReplyDelete1. Facial expressions can help shape the general tone of a conversation because seeing someones face expressions helps communicate how they take a message and seeing someone communicate what you’re trying to say helps you to not misinterpret their message. For example, if I were trying to speak to my mother about a serious topic she would see that my face is serious. I would not have any smirks on my face or smiles, it would be a complete straight face so that I could communicate to her that I am serious and that I need her to take the topic seriously as well.
2. I think a person using kinesics helps describe their character. I do not think it determines your overall character. I say that because many people communicate the way they are. For example, I am loud and speak with my hands which describes who I am, but it does not determine my overall character. Another example, is someones facial expressions. When someone is having a bad day, just because they look like they’re sad does not mean they’re sad everyday of their life. They may just be sad that one day.
1. When having a conversion you are usually able to tell by the faces of the people in the conversation where or how the communication is going. If someone is anger or does not agree with your statement you will get a different face then if the person you are talking to agrees or has the same opinion as you then most likely can see a smile or a simple nod of the head to see that they are enjoying the conversation. With these expressions you can see if the conversation is going well not and if the direction of the conversation was what you were expecting.
ReplyDelete2. I believe that kinematics can tell us about a person's character. If a person becomes involved in a conversation it can lead you to believe that they are kind and caring to others feelings because they took the time to become involved in your interests. If you are talk to someone that never is making eye contact and making brief statements you can sometimes see them as being rude. Or even if you are not in a conversation and someone simply bumps into you and they do not take five seconds to stop and say sorry or make a simple "my bad" gesture, you may think that person is rude.
1. Facial expressions are important, because while we communicate we can see how the other person(s) react for things we say and we can lead the discussion on a better way. That is a kind of a way how we knowing people. The facial expression is a really huge part of every kind of conversation, and it helps us to know a lot of things, for example: we can see on someone who is not interested in our conversation, or the person is in hurry, all the gestures and mimics can tell us more then words. Of course there are some people who can controll them selves and they can false expressions, but it is not always good, unless the person is in trouble or wants to hide something from the others.
ReplyDelete2. Yes, it helps so much. As I said this helps us to know the person better and better while we talk. We can easily find out the personality of the person who we are talking to, by looking at the reactions what he or she makes. From the otherside, sadly there are a lot of people in our world who make false gestures and misguide the others. I don't know why and what is there aim with it, but I met a lot of people who did it. Everybody has a mask, but by getting in conversation with someone, we can look behind the mask more and more by talking more and more.
1. Your words can't always convey 100% what you're feeling, so facial expression can help convey that. You could be saying something in a sincere sounding tone, but have a sarcastic expression, people can obviously tell that you're being sarcastic.
ReplyDelete2. I believe it helps, yes. If a person is more shy, they may not gesture with their hands so much as a person who is louder and more confident. The tone of their voice down to their posture can help you decode what kind of person it is you're speaking to and at least a few of their outward characteristics.
1. Facial expressions are key to having a conversation. You can see how the conversation will go or how it's going just by reading people face. For example if there is not eye contact you can get the feeling that they are not interested in hearing whatever you have to say. If they are interested they are looking at your and are engaged into the conversation. Facial expressions are key to having a good conversation with someone or having a terrible one.
ReplyDelete2) yes and no. For example many people that are Cuban usually talk with hands when they are engaged into a conversation and are very loud. That doesn't mean that they are barbaric people. Then you have the complete opposite, you might have someone whose very conservative on the way they talk and they might be a engaging but are not using any facial or hands expressions. In my case my facial expressions do show who I am. I'm very interactive when I talk and that ties to the very energetic personality I have. So it all depends on the person who is talking.
1. Facial expressions are very handy when having a conversation. They are used to tell if there will be a good conversation or a pointless one. For example if someone really wants to talk to you they would be giving you eye contact and even smiling and showing you that they are engaged in the conversation. Or if someone doesn't want to talk to you they would show a boring facial expression or show how they don't want to talk all and you can stop wasting your time with them. Facial expression can really determine how well or how bad a conversation is going to go.
ReplyDelete2. I think using kinetics during conversation really brings out a persons character. I feel like if a person is happy and kind and all they would engage in the conversation and have a smile on their face and would use their hands. A person would also be talk in their normal voice but in happy way. But on the other hand sometimes can get a false tense from a person if he or she is having a bad day. She could be really nice and sweet but they are just having a bad day and they are not really engaged in the conversation. But overall I think a persons tone of voice and hand gestures and all can show a real persons character majority of the time.