Sunday, April 19, 2015

Discussion Questions: Communication and New Technologies
Due: Wednesday, April 22, 2015; 9am

1. Have you ever had miscommunication problems while texting or emailing? If yes, what happened?

2. Do you think our current generation misuses cellphones? How?

14 comments:

  1. 1. Yes I have many times while texting. One time I remember I was texting my mom and she asked me when I was coming home. So I texted back and said; “Now I guess.” Then she called me and asked me why I got mad she asked when I was coming home. She thought I sounded annoyed or upset, when really I wasn’t at all she just couldn’t hear my tone of voice because it was just a text message.

    2. I do believe our current generations missuses cellphones in many ways. First off, kids are getting their own cellphones way too young, so they become attached and cant live without it. Secondly, people are starting to not be able to communicate well because of constant texting and not enough face-to-face conversations. All kids worry about is social media and what to post next and not about their education or being active. Cellphones have become too much of a priority. Even when it comes to texting and driving, peoples lives may be I danger but people still think sending a text or looking at their phones are more important.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1. I have had several problems through email. Most of them are due to miscommunication, which often happens as a result from typos. Since instant messaging is meant to be exactly what its name suggests, people tend to try and get it done really fast, usually without stopping and checking to see if there are any grammatical punctual errors. A lot of times the person who receives an email that doesn't quite make sense decodes it in a way that the sender had not originally intended.
    2. I believe that the rise of cell phones has contributed to a giant shift in what is considered to be appropriate social behavior. It is so common nowadays to see people looking down at their phones during all kinds of different situations. However, I don't think that our generation misuses them. The cellphone is an extremely powerful tool, because it is a single device with countless other tools. They are a direct link to pretty much any piece of information a person could look for. They can be used in an infinite amount of ways, and there really isn't a way of misusing them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 1. Miscommunication through texting and emailing happens to me all the time. A lot of times, it is because of typos and autocorrect. Autocorrect actually has a lot of faults. An example would be typing in the word "good" and your phone changes it to say "food." Tone plays a big role in communication, but it is not brought out through texting and emailing. It can be hard to tell through texts whether or not a friend is being sarcastic.

    2. I honestly do not believe cell phones are misused in our generation. The amount technology has risen and improved is tremendous, so of course we have a lot more now that our parents didn't have when they were kids. Cell phones have flourished to now have apps for many different reasons, some being games, Facebook, twitter, etc. Things have improved tremendously and are still getting better as time goes on. People that buy smartphones are usually going to use them for apps and online access. If you wanted to use a normal cell phone like the ones used ten years ago, you still have that choice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 1) I have had miscommunication issues while texting before. I can’t pin point an exact conversation but I know a lot of the miscommunication occurs when I’m trying to be sarcastic and the person that I’m texting thinks I’m actually be serious. This leads me needing to clarify that I didn’t exactly mean what I said and was just trying to be funny. If they had actually heard the pitch of my voice, seen my body language, or other nonverbal codes they would have saw that I was just kidding and not at all serious.

    2) I do think that the current generation does misuse cellphones. I think definitely it’s an over use of phones nowadays, especially like in the classroom and on the road. It’s definitely annoying and distracting when you’re trying to pay attention to a lecture and all you see out of the corner of your eye is someone on their phone. I always get uneasy when I’m in a car and I see someone who’s messing with their phone as they are trying to drive. It’s a tool that has become an important channel in which we communicate but we definitely need to be mindful of when we should and should not use it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. 1) Yes, I have had problems with miscommunication through texting. Nothing major in particular, however it is difficult to interpret some messages because there is no face to face interaction. Over the phone you cannot see things such as gestures and facial expressions and hear things such as tone. This causes messages to be misinterpreted and often I perceive things in the incorrect way.

    2) Yes, I do believe that our current generation does misuse cell phones. It is easy to communicate with someone electronically, so today we are typically bad at face to face interaction. Another way in which we misuse cell phones today is that it is easy to get caught up in social media which can allow you to put on a face of someone that you are not.

    ReplyDelete
  6. 1. I've had miscommunication while texting multiple of times. You can't really get sarcasm or tone across, so there's always problems there, but then there's also the issue of people not responding, too, I guess. If you combine them, it's really terrible. Like once, I was out with friends and we had stayed over at someone's house and the next morning, they texted me to tell me they had left without me because I was still asleep. So they left me stranded like 45 minutes from home with no way to get home. I was texting my friend really passive aggressively, but she couldn't read my tone through the texts, so she thought I was completely fine and took a nap instead of coming back to get me. It was a really shit situation, to be blunt. I'm still really salty about that.

    2. I can see how people would think that we misuse cellphones and to a certain extend, we do. I mean, some people in our generation use cellphones to do things like cyber bully or treat people how they never would if it were face-to-face. On the flip side of that coin, however, I think that we're simply using what is given to us. I feel like older generations (i.e. baby boomers) are always accusing this generation of being so caught up in our technologies and such, but we're truly the first generation that has been right in the middle of this technology advance. We knew a time when there were no cellphones and Wi-Fi and whatever, and now that we live in a world where quite literally anything and everything is at our fingertips, I think we're just adapting to that and using it to our advantage--not misusing it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. 1. Yes I have had miscommunication problem through texting. Not through email, but through texting. It was always when I tried to say a joke or be sarcastic. The other person misunderstood my goal and thought I am serious. The other person was mad, because of it. The hardest thing is we dont see the face of the other person so we cant tell what he feels. For example he can write like everything is fine, but actually he is sad or mad. We cannot see the face or hear the voice, we can just see the text and we can't really tell what the other person feels.

    2. I think our generation does misuse phones. We can communicate with everybody on it, and we can text with a lot of people at the same time. A lot of people can talk through phone, but in person they cant talk free. They hold back their feelings and words or emotions. It is a very distracting thing too, because there are games, apps, or anything on the phone what can distract us from paying attention in class or at any other places.

    ReplyDelete
  8. 1. Have you ever had miscommunication problems while texting or emailing? If yes, what happened?


    ​Yes, I am a horrible texter. I don't proof read my texts when I am on the go, so i get many miscommunications. I also cannot see the buttons very well, so I rely on memory to send the message. This causes many miscommunications especially with autocorrect.

    2. Do you think our current generation misuses cellphones? How?
    Our generation definitely misuses cellphones. We cannot be over a few feet away from our phone or we freak out. It has also become a way not to talk to people, like if you don't want to talk to someone, you pull out your phone and act like you are doing something important. It has also interfered with our learning, with the constant updates, phones are a real distraction.

    ReplyDelete
  9. 1) I have had many miscommunication problems while texting. One time, told my friend over a text that I would said “come over soon.” To me this meant that I would be over soon but to her it meant that she should come over soon. Needless to say she left her house to come see me and I left my house to go see her. So we ended up in the wrong places.
    2) I believe that our generation missuses cell phones by allowing it to serve as a distraction. When many people are in situation that are uncomfortable or simply something they do not want to be a part of they will just look at their phones. When we are with friends and are bored instead or communicating with our friends and engaging in conversation we just text or surf the internet and social media. I think cell phones should be used to communicate when needed but they should not be used to get out of a situation or to not talk to our friends.

    ReplyDelete
  10. 1. Yes I have had miscommunication problems while texting. Sometimes I can be sarcastic or the other person is sarcastic and we interpret the message the wrong way and we just be become really confused. Sometimes auto-correct will make lots of miscommunication problems and then there is confusion in the conversation. Other problems that can occur is the person seeing your tone a different way, like sometimes I send out text and my girlfriend thinks I am mad but I am far from it.

    2. I do think our generation misuses cell phones because we rely on it to communicate with multiple people. We get so involved to texting lots of people that we forget how to communicate to others in person. We also as people can't live without our cell phones and we need to have it every second of the day and if it dies or we lose it, we feel like the world is going to end. Also since we use it for texting we dont usually get our emotions out to people as we would do if we were talking to them face to face. As people we use our phones for so many things that if it was gone we wouldnt know how to do the things that were done in the past.

    ReplyDelete
  11. 1. Have you ever had miscommunication problems while texting or emailing? If yes, what happened? Yes I have had miscommunication problems while texting/emailing. A lot of times it is difficult to tell if someone is serious or joking, and so it is easy to become offended by a joke, or take something really serious as a joke and offend the other person.

    2. Do you think our current generation misuses cellphones? How?
    I do think our current generation misuses cellphones. I think that most young people would rather text than talk in person, or be on social media then be doing something in the real world...ex:Ride a bike, or go to then park. It really is kind of scary to think that my generation was basically the last generation to grow up without smartphones being so popular.

    ReplyDelete
  12. 1. yes i have had many miscommunications while emailing or texting. it is sometimes frustrating and annoying that people cannot hear the tone while i text. when that happens i would just say sorry that came out wrong
    2. yes because we are always on it and use it for pointless stuff. while in the other hand we can be conversing face to face instead of talking over a electronic device.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sigñe McKinney

    1. Yes I have miscommunicated during texting or emailing. My mother and I were texting and the way the text messages were being sent seemed like there was an attitude from me and than it began to sound like my mom had an attitude as well. It turned out that neither one of us had an attitude and we had just miscommunicated.

    2. Yes I think this generation misuses cell phones because instead of communicating face to face we just communicate through texting. Texting becomes a problem because the tones of the text can be misinterpreted. This generation also misuses cell phones because of the things cell phones are being used for. For example, taking drunk pictures or videos of someone, posting unnecessary pictures that should not be shared, or even just the hurtful pictures you may take of someone off guard and posting it. Cell phones are being misused all the time nowadays.

    ReplyDelete