Due: Wednesday, April 15, 2015; 9am
1. Why do you believe the study of the media is important?
2. What types of advertisements do you encounter daily? How
many advertisements would you say you see and hear on a daily basis? How would
you say the types and amount of advertisements you see, affect you as an
individual and your consumption practices?
1. The study of media is important because it helps us understand how it affects our society. Knowing how a message or a media outlet can shape the way society functions or receives important information, can help us determine how to do so in a more effective way.
ReplyDelete2. I see advertisements for campus events daily, and usually an abundance of them. I see flyers posted on walls, receive emails, or see people in the cafe spreading the word. I think that these advertisements motivate me to become more involved, and are very positive things in my every day life.
1. I believe the study of media is important because it is a very big part of today’s communication and how we all connect and spread news. It is smart to know how the media works and portrays the information it is giving because it sometimes might not be correct or the whole truth. So it is the society’s decision whether to believe and listen to the media or not. Media shapes our society and culture, which is why it is so very important to understand and study all of its ins and outs.
ReplyDelete2. I encounter many advertisements daily, whether it is n the car on the radio, commercials on TV, poster around campus, and emails advertising something. I would say I hear and see around fifteen or more of them a day. I would say seeing and hearing all of these advertisements makes me more informed and aware of what’s going on around me, or what is going to be happening in the future. They are all usually good and positive advertisements and don’t bring me any confliction in my life. They make me more involved and aware.
1) I believe the study of media is important because it tells us what is happening around us. It tells us with our society has come to and the many things that have began to influence our decisions. If we were to just allow the media to happen without actually studying it we would not be able to see past the many ways to persuasion to see the true story that is being told. Media will always be a part of our lives so I believe we need to study it.
ReplyDelete2) As I listen to Pandora throughout the day I hear many different advertisements. I would say I hear about ten a day just from Pandora alone. Most of the advertisements I hear are about wanting you to join a certain college or something about a new movie coming out. The people that put these advertisements on this app do it specifically because they know high school and college kids are listening to their music. I would say that the more advertisements I hear from the app just make me more frustrated because I just want to hear my music. However, if you think about TV commercials a lot of them come up with catchy slogans or songs that will get stuck in your head and remind you of their advertisement. Then when you sing it or bring it up you are spreading the advertisement and that is what they want.
1. The study of media is important, because media is the one true thing that keeps every person informed and updated about current happenings all over the world. Not only that, but the media is also responsible for shaping cultures, setting trends and selling products which effectively influence the economy. Without the media there would be substantially less product advertisement which in turn would result in a decrease of demand among consumers. Those who study media are placed with the power and understanding of the distribution of messages to the general public.
ReplyDelete2. The average person likely sees a countless number of advertisements on a daily basis. Television commercials, highway billboards, wall posters and company logos on things such as clothing and transportation vehicles are a few examples of the many different types of advertisements we see daily. For many people, advertisements can have a strong persuasive effect. Advertisements often accomplish their goal of influencing consumers to buy their products through many means of appealing, including the appeal of logic, emotion, and credibility. I personally am not easily persuaded by most of the ads that I encounter on a regular basis, mainly because I am a college student and don't have the money to buy anything anyways.
1. I believe that it is important to study the media because that is how the public receives all of their information, because they are more likely to get their news from the television than look up at the facts. It is also important because the media can have a bias towards the information they give and that can influence how they present the information, influencing public opinion.
Delete2. I encounter advertisements daily, some in the form of pop ups on my phone and others are in the form of fliers on the wall. I like to think they do not affect my decisions but I understand they may on a subconscious level. The way I react is quite opposite of what is intended. The more I see the advertisements, especially pop ups, the more annoyed i become with the product and the less likely I will purchase the product.
1) I believe that the study of media is important because media is the quickest and most effective way to spread news quickly. Without media society would not be able to keep everyone as informed and we would not be nearly as aware as the media allows us to be. It is very important to study and understand how media works, however, because there can be a lot of false information circulating. When listening to or reading a major story you should always make sure that you are accessing a reliable source. Media is something today that shapes the society in which we live, so studying it and learning how it functions is a major process that we must undergo.
ReplyDelete2) The types of advertisement which I encounter daily are typically posters and flyers that are posted around campus. Occasionally I hear advertisements over the radio as well if I am driving around in my car. On a daily basis, I would say that I see as well as hear around 10-15 advertisements. The types of advertisement and the amount that I see per day affect me as an individual because they push me to get more involved in activities around campus or in the community. For example, when I saw posters that were encouraging dance marathon, it influenced me to go sign up for it. Another example is when I saw a flyer which urged me to go donate blood to save lives. Advertisements that I see here at Ambrose usually allow me to be a better, more involved student.
1. The study of media is important because it helps us to understand how the media works and keeps us up to date on what is going on. The study of media also helps us to understand how to communicate with other people on a large scale.
ReplyDelete2. I would say the advertisements that I encounter the most on a daily basis are commercials on television and billboards. I'm not sure how many advertisements I see on a daily basis but I'm sure the amount is astronomical. I think these advertisements affect a lot more than we realize. They affect what we wear, what we eat, and how we behave.
I think that the study of media is important because it is apart of our everyday lives. The media effects people and the choices they make everyday. It helps companies find what which kinds of strategies work best on consumers through the media. They can try to trick or target certain groups and if consumers know the tricks being used, they could be avoided. As a college student, I try to avoid these kinds of tricks and scams.
ReplyDeleteI feel like I encounter advertisement based on my previous searches, and they must know I like to shop online because advertisements come up trying to lure me in. I think they are everywhere throughout the day, on my computer, flyers around the school trying persuade me to do something. I think they definitely try to appeal to me using emotions. For example, maybe for college students they make them feel bad about gaining a freshman weight so they advertise weight loss diets or gym memberships to students. I think they also try to push credit cards on college students because it is an easy way to get things without having the money at that specific time.
I believe the media needs to be studied because it has such a large impact on lives. It gives us the ideas of how we should be living our lives. This is way we need to understand the purpose of media and so that we don't get caught up in every advertisement and spend our lives living the life of the media.
ReplyDelete2. I get all types of advertisements in one day, such as billboards on the roads, TV and radio commercials, and now social media runs on the money it gets from companies paying to advertise on their sites. The increase in adverts on social media have to me seeing at least 30 or more advertisements a day. I would say most advertisements I don't even notice, however because they are all around us occasionally I will notice one and it will lead to me spending money.
1. I think the study of media is important because it effects people in many different ways. The media is always telling people how you should/should not look or act.
ReplyDelete2. I see many advertisements every day through school emails, through commercials, through magazines, etc. These ad's make me as an individual feel as though our society is so set on being as "perfect" as possible.
1. I think the study of media is important because it affects the lives of everyone whether a person disagrees. When media shows pictures of what a guy should be like or how a girl should look, we as people try to conform to what the media wants us to be. Media is also helpful because its another good way to help sell products that people may want. Lots of people listen to the media so putting up ads gives the companies an advantage to sell product. Studying the media will help a person understand the way they work and gives them the power to understand.
ReplyDelete2. I encounter lots of advertisements on a daily basis. I hear advertisements on the radio and even hear them on the pandora app. I see lots of advertisements on TV and sometimes I wish I had the money to spend on the advertisements. I even see advertisements on social media. The advertisements have improved is insane and its a great way to get into people pockets and get their money. Advertisements play a huge role on people something is always interesting and people want it. For me I notice them but I don't have the money to buy it all I can do is ignore it but if I had the money I desire I don't doubt I would be spending it on the amount of advertisement I see.
Signe McKinney
ReplyDelete1. I believe the study of media is important but also hurtful because media has been the quickest way for information to go viral. Without something that spreads news quickly people will not be kept up to date. But on the other hand, what is spread on the media can hurt someone and what is displayed on the media sometimes gives off the wrong messages. For example, celebrities or even just a normal teenager can post one thing and it will be out there for everyone to see and it is guaranteed to go viral. Also, the media says to love yourself but than will display images of someone being the "perfect" picture.
2. A lot of advertisements I encounter daily are on the radio, sometimes on my soundcloud, on youtube, and on TV. I see advertisements mostly on TV and that's when I pay the most attention to them. I don't think advertisements effect me as an individual as much as I would think. Some of the advertisements make me want what they're advertising but I don't get it. Sometimes the advertisements seem so dumb to me that there's no reason to give them attention. It's very rare when I see an advertisement and feel that I want what they're advertising. One advertisement that does catch my attention emotionally and mentally is the advertisements with the sad animals that need a home. The advertisement plays sad music and shows sad animals and it makes me want to go help all those poor little animals. That advertisement is probably one of the only advertisements that actually get to me.
1. I believe the study of media is very important because it helps us get in touch with what is happening in the world. Plus it greatly affects our lives because without us knowing it teache's how we should live our live based on what we should do with it.
ReplyDelete2. On a daily basis I encounter advertisement on the radio and billboards when I am driving. On a daily basis I would say I hear/see about 30 a day. It greatly affects what I do because if I hear or see an advertisement about McDonald's 30 times in 1 day when I get hungry I would most likely get McDonald's. So it greatly impacts my actions.