Thursday, April 2, 2015

Discussion Questions: Rhetorical Communication
Due: Wednesday, April 8, 2015; 9am

1. Have you heard a persuasive speaker? What caught your attention about their speech? What appeals did they use?

2. Have you ever had to persuade an audience? How did you do it? What appeals did you use? 

13 comments:

  1. 1. Yes, I have heard a persuasive speaker before. What caught my attention the most about their speech was how easily they were to pay attention and listen to. They made you want to do whatever it was they were talking about by the smoothness and tone of their voices, but also by the way they were giving out the topic they were persuading the audience about. They would tell us how we would benefit from doing whatever it was and only said the good things so it made whatever it was look that much better.
    2. Yes I have had to try and persuade an audience. I tried by starting out with why I thought they should go where I wanted to go and then all of the good reasons. Then I pointed out the bad reasons not to go and do the other option. I tried to make my option seem way better than the other in their eyes so they’d change their minds.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Signe McKinney

    1. Yes, I have heard of a persuasive speaker. They caught my attention because of the topic they discussed, the videos and music they used in their presentation, and how they projected their voice. They discussed how the topic they were talking about would benefit us and during their presentation, it all sounded perfect.

    2. Yes I have tried to persuade an audience. Trying to persuade the audience was quite difficult. The audience were my classmates, I discussed a topic that the students did not like, dress code. I spoke about the benefits a lot, projected my voice, and tried to make connections to the audience. Overall, I think I did a good job because I discussed a topic a lot of students could relate to.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 1. Yes I have heard of a persuasive speaker before. What caught my attention is the way that they start the conversation. It seems as if they always have an attention grabber to make you interested. By doing this, they know that the listeners will have their attention.

    2. I had to try and persuade an audience in one of my high school classes. Trying to do this was quite difficult for me because I am not a fan of public speaking. I started out with an attention grabber sentence and went on from there. I think this worked because the listeners seemed interested.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 1. I have heard good persuasive speakers before. I've found that what usually gives them the ability to come off as really persuasive is the way in which they speak with confidence and charisma. They have a clear voice and speak directly to you in a tone that makes them sound like they know exactly what they're talking about. That, in turn, is what makes people think that they're persuasive in the first place. They can also win people over by appealing to logic or credibility, using simple irrefutable facts to back up their persuasive argument.
    2. I have never really tried to persuade an audience, but I have done a lot of presentations in front of classes before. I tend to try and get the point of my presentation across to the class by first presenting the facts and evidence, and appeal strongly to logic and credibility, but I also add in little jokes or funny slides, just to touch on the emotional appeal to some degree.

    ReplyDelete
  5. 1) I have heard persuasive speakers before. I have noticed that the visual aids that had been used, during the presentation, had made the audience more interested in what this person had to say. What also had really made them an effective speaker, had been the use of voice of the speech maker. The enthusiasm in the speaker’s voice had not only engaged the audience but as well as made appear as though they knew what they were talking about. The pauses that they had made while speaking, had also added to the drama and emphasis on the points that were made.
    2) I have had to do persuasive speeches in the past for school. Trying to persuade an audience in a debate can be quite challenging. I try to simply just state the facts about the argument that I am making. I also try to integrate what the opposite argument is. Doing this had made my argument all the more solid and persuasive.

    ReplyDelete
  6. 1. I have heard persuasive speaker before. The way they start speaking, grabbing the attention and then bringing the people up from the bottom to the top. My parents and my coach were speaking persuasive to me before. What caught me is when they said I can do this or that no matter what. They told me all the things I have done before and they gave me strength by saying that they trust me and they love me , even if I win or lose and they will be there if I am up or down.

    2. I have done persuasive speak before. I used all the things what my parents and my coach tought me. When I do it I like to feel with the person or persons, and I can tell them they are better. Sometimes I made the audiance laugh to break the sadness and to not to feel low. After that I said the serious things, and I gave power to them by saying: "Yes you can do that, because look back and see what have you reached, so it is nothing now". Or something like this. I can't really remember to these things, because the moment giving the words in my mouth.

    ReplyDelete
  7. 1.
    Yes, I have heard a persuasive speaker before. I noticed they mostly talk about the benefits of whatever they are trying to persuade. The person trying to persuade a group of people are telling the people what they want to hear in order for the listeners to change in the way the persuader would like. The person trying to persuade a group tries to appeal to the listeners emotions - pathos. People are commonly known to make decisions if they can relate or feel emotional about the situation.

    2.
    I think we try to persuade audiences multiple times throughout a day. For example, without knowing I may try to persuade my friends to do something with me. I use appeals such as logos and pathos. Mentioning why it is a logical decision and how it could benefit them in an emotional way. Trying to convince others to believe or do what you do happens everyday without even realizing it. Some audiences may be easier to persuade than others, if the persuader has personal information on the audience that they could use to appeal to the listeners emotions.

    ReplyDelete
  8. 1. Yes, i have heard a persuasive speaker before. When people are giving persuasive speeches, I can usually tell that they mainly speak about the good side of things rather than the bad. One thing that really stands out to me in some of the persuasive speakers I've heard is their leadership and confidence.

    2. I never had to give an actual persuasive speech, but I feel like I'm always trying to persuade something to someone. For example, I always try and persuade my friends to do something I want to. Persuasion happens all throughout the day, and some we never really realize.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes I've heard a persuasive speaker and the reason I liked him was because I found him interesting, he made me want to listen to what he had to say. He did this by being enthusiastic about his topic. Also the way he spoke made you feel like he wanted to help the audience.
    I found that to persuade an audience I needed to get them to understand the benefits what I want them to. As people are also looking to gain something when they do anything. I also try to come across and being confident as this allows them to trust in you that I know what I'm talking about.

    ReplyDelete
  10. 1. Yes I have heard a persuasive speaker. The thing that caught my attention was their introduction. They just sucked me in to what they wanted and it was very interesting and I really enjoyed it. They also used lots of pictures to show the benefits of it and why should do this. Also the way he spoke attracted the audience because he was very vocal and confident on what he wanted.

    2. Yes I have tried to persuade an audience. I found it very hard because I get nervous when speaking in front of big crowds. But I had to make something and persuade people to buy it. I made locker magnets. I used a power point and I had lots of interesting pictures and showed how the magnets would bring attention to your locker if people saw it. I also used big words and colors to show the attraction of it and why you should buy it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. 1) Yes, I have heard a persuasive speaker before in my life. The speaker was this year at SAU. Sheryl WuDunn was the speaker, advocating women in countries across the world. What Sheryl used to make her speech effective were things that would tug at people's heart strings. By describing sad instances she was able to open her audiences eyes to women injustice around the world.

    2) I have never had to personally persuade an audience of people, however, I have had to write persuasive essays. I did it in manner that showed both sides of the argument but was in favor of the mindset that I was trying to get across. My essay was on tanning beds and how they are harmful, so in order to get my readers to believe me I used fear to my biggest advantage. I showed the facts on skin cancer, which would scare people out of using artificial tanning beds.

    ReplyDelete
  12. 1. I've heard a persuasive speaker before. They spoke in a way that everyone could understand and yet motivated you to not just see things from their side of the story, but also maybe do what it was they were speaking about. They used emotional appeals, trying to get you to 'know' what was right based on your emotional response, which is a method that works well in certain instances.

    2. I've had to do persuasive speeches for classes in high school, but that was about it. If I remember, I was doing a persuasive speech on why same-sex marriage should be legal everywhere--this was before it was legalized in many states and before Prop 8 was turned over in CA--and why gays are people, too. I used emotional appeals about like, wouldn't it suck if you couldn't marry someone someday and stuff like that.

    ReplyDelete
  13. 1) When listening to a Persuasive speaker they always have a view that they want you to see through. They bring up topics with they believe will interest you and things that catch your eye. They use appeals that allow you to see they are will be supporting or helping the organization. They use cuteness such as children to make you feel pity. They even may show you the best of the deal such as saying 10% off instead of say, this costs $500.
    2) I have not had to persuade an audience but I have had to write many persuasive papers. You start with all the benefits from your perspective to show the good that your view can bring. Then you can look at the down falls of your view and try to defend.

    ReplyDelete